Põltsamaa's stone fortress was constructed on the banks of the river in 1272. Between 1570 and 1578 it was the residence of Livonia's King Magnus. Repeatedly pillages, the castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw in the 18th century as a grand rococo-style palace. The castle, and the church built into its cannon tower, burnt down in 1941. The church was restored by 1952, and the castle ruins came under preservation during the 1970s.
Location: Köstri allee 3, Palamuse alevik, Jõgeva vald, Jõgevamaa, 49226
Main building
An overview of the school life of Estonian farmers’ children in the 19th century through the book Kevade (Spring) is displayed in the large exhibition hall of the main building. The story written by Palamuse-born writer Oskar Luts ...