The Kumu Art Museum is the headquarters and a branch of the Art Museum of Estonia (Museum of Estonia until 1928), which was built to be a multifunctional contemporary art museum and to also satisfy the need for conserving and exhibiting the world's largest collection of Estonian art, which is comprised of 60,000 works.
For the first time in its almost century-long history, the Art Museum of Estonia has a building that specifically conforms to the needs of a museum and is worthy of Estonian art. The international architectural competition, which was held in 1993–1994, was won by the Finnish architect Pekka Vapaavuori. The construction of the building was started in 2002. The opening ceremonies for the Kumu Art Museum were held on 17 February 2006 and attending by a large crowd of visitors. The doors were opened to the public on Saturday, 18 February at 11 am.
This is the home for personal narratives about crimes against humanity. Stories like these help us better appreciate justice and freedom.
Pagari 1 is a house with a colourful past. In March 1918, during a time when the newly dec...