Location: Linnuse tee 1, Lihula linn, Läänemaa, 90303
Lihula was appointed in 1211 by Riga archbishop Albert to be the centre of Estonia's bishopric. Instead of ancient Estonians stronghold that was on the hill a new stone stronghold was built in 1238. The owners of the stronghold were Danes, Swedes, Germa...
Having been erected in the 13th century by the Livonian Order rebelling Estonians tore it down during the St. George's Night Uprising. A new castle was built and called Soneburg meaning the Castle of Punishment. The Castle of Punishment was blown up by ...
The von Ungern-Sternbergs did not like the evasion of Orthodoxy at all and when
building the church started in 1889 their chance for a little fine revenge came! The land
they gave the church, and they were obliged to give it, was deep in the dark ...