The church, dedicated to the legendary 11th century saint, one of the greatest in Russian Orthodox Church, itself is a 1859 finished humble wooden building hidden in the trees at a small hill. Nearby the church there are mounds from the 13th century res...
When building the church a zinc box with holy relics was put inside the cornerstone of the church. The church was nationalized in 1940 after which it was used as a storehouse and later as a museum. In the meantime the towers of the church had devel...
Äksi as a place having a church was first mentioned in 1443. As usual – due to wars,
lightning or other calamities – the first building has long gone, burnt. Though the current
look originates from the year 1889 it still bears earlier construction...